Generally, tortilla chips don't heat up until you put salsa on them.
But in Austin, Texas, the fire department had to put out fires out not one, but four times caused by the spontaneous combustion of tortilla chips.
It started when a tortilla chip factory was testing a new way to handle its chip waste. The company crushed the chips into a fine, powder-like substance and put the powder into boxes that had soaked up oil, Austin Fire Department division chief Palm Buck told CNN.
When the weather heated up, the chip dust heated up too -- and burst into flames.
"Certainly tortilla chips was a new thing for us," Buck said.
Even after firefighters arrived at the scene, cardboard boxes of waste continued to ignite, popping up behind them as they were putting out fires.
Three days later, more boxes of the same food waste combusted as well. Firefighters were called to the scene three times last week, and stayed overnight once to monitor the chip waste, Buck said.
They drowned the rest of the crates with water just to be safe.
Thankfully, the fires were outside, so the factory building wasn't damaged.
"Tortilla chips are big business around these parts," the Department said. "We take them seriously, as they are responsible for holding all manner of very important things - like queso, salsa, nachos, and various other sundry items that are critical to a Texan's everyday life and well-being."
- Austin firefighters respond to blazes caused by spontaneous combustion of tortilla chips
- Firefighters respond to blaze at London hotel
- Tesla spontaneously catches fire with no crash
- Florida woman says parked Kia Sorento spontaneously burst into flames
- Claves para entender la crisis de combustibles en México
- Blaze near Yosemite that killed firefighter only 5% contained
- Firefighters are making strides as blazes race toward homes
- Patch for Spectre, Meltdown causing problems in older chips
- Old West town of Tortilla Flat attracts tourists from all over the world