A Sioux City, Iowa man was arrested over the weekend. According to a police report, the man rammed into a Nebraska State Patrol cruiser and a Dakota County Sheriff's Office vehicle during a pursuit Friday evening in South Sioux City.
An NSP sergeant became involved in a pursuit at approximately 6:20 p.m. when a suspect being pursued by the South Sioux City Police Department approached the intersection of 29th St and Highway 77. The suspect was traveling at approximately 80 miles per hour in a 45 mile per hour zone and passing vehicles on the right shoulder.
The vehicle, a 2006 Chevrolet pickup, then went eastbound on Interstate 129, with speeds nearing 100 miles per hour. At this point, the NSP sergeant was able to get in front of the suspect vehicle and attempted to slow it down, while a DCSO deputy approached from the rear. The suspect then intentionally rammed the NSP cruiser from behind.
As the suspect crossed in Iowa, NSP and DCSO continued the pursuit until Iowa authorities could arrive. After a short period of time on Interstate 29 in Iowa, the suspect exited at Singing Hills, but lost control of the vehicle and ended up in the median. The suspect then intentionally rammed the DCSO unit and the NSP unit a second time. The suspect attempted to flee again, but the vehicle became stuck. The entire pursuit last approximately five minutes.
Troopers with the Iowa State Patrol arrived on scene and quickly took the suspect into custody. Larry Johnson II, 43, of Sioux City, Iowa, faces charges in both states. Nebraska charges include attempted assault on an officer, operating a motor vehicle to avoid arrest, willful reckless driving, and driving under suspension.
Johnson was lodged in Woodbury County Jail. No NSP personnel were injured. The DCSO deputy was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
- Man arrested after ramming several law enforcement cars
- Trump praises law enforcement for arrest
- Law enforcement: Man shoots himself near WH
- Undefeated LA Rams are legit!
- Two Israeli soldiers killed in West Bank car ramming attack
- Trump praises law enforcement after slamming FBI
- Law enforcement source: Driver acted deliberately
- Man 3rd to assault SLC officers in 1 day after ramming police cars unprovoked, police say
- Video Shows Man Repeatedly Ramming, Jumping on Top of Car in Road Rage Incident
- Man who allegedly rammed Summerdale police cruiser arrested in Jefferson County