A taxi plowed into a crowd of pedestrians Saturday in central Moscow, injuring seven people, according to Russian state news agency TASS.
Video published by state-run Sputnik news agency showed a taxi in slow traffic accelerating suddenly and veering sharply onto the curb, hitting pedestrians. The video showed the driver jumping out of the car and running across the street before being apprehended.
The Tass report, which cited emergency services, said the vehicle crashed into a traffic sign, then drove into the crowd on Ilyinka Street.
The incident occurred near Gostiny Dvor, a business and exhibition center near Red Square, where visitors have gathered amid World Cup festivities.
An eyewitness who would only give his first name, "Emin," told CNN he helped capture the driver, who "did not look drunk to me."
Emin said pedestrians were "panicking and screaming" and that two or three were seriously hurt. Emin said a pair of Mexican fans and "mostly Russians" were hit by the taxi.
The Mexican Embassy in Moscow said on Twitter that two Mexican citizens were among the injured.
It's not clear how badly injured the victims were, TASS said. At least five emergency vehicles were at the scene, Moscow police said.
Police said they have detained the driver, saying the person apparently lost control of the vehicle.
"The driver failed to control the vehicle," Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said Saturday. "Several people were injured, who have already received the necessary assistance."
The situation, Sobyanin added, is "under control."
- Police: Taxi strikes pedestrians in Moscow
- Taxi hits pedestrians in Moscow amid World Cup festivities
- Police: Taxi hits pedestrians, several injured
- Bus drives into crowded Moscow walkway, killing pedestrians
- Syria strikes: The real impact is in Moscow
- Van strikes pedestrians on busy Toronto street
- URGENT - Van strikes multiple pedestrians in Toronto, police say
- Russian jet crash-lands in field outside Moscow after striking flock of gulls
- Moscow Ballet's 'Great Russian Nutcracker' promotes peace
- Russian passenger plane crashes outside Moscow