The Milwaukee County Zoo announced Tuesday, May 22 details of a giraffe birth on May 15. The new giraffe joins young male, Kazi, the most recent giraffe born at the zoo in September 2017.
The new female was born in the early evening to Marlee, and dad, Bahatika. This marks the second offspring for Marlee, and the fourth for Bahatika.
On May 16, veterinarians completed the calf's first exam, and recorded a weight of about 174 pounds, and a height of approximately 6'1".
Zookeepers and medical staff have been monitoring mother and baby. Zoo officials say Marlee appears very calm and attentive to the calf, who is nursing regularly.
Marlee, 6, arrived at the Milwaukee County Zoo in 2013 from Zoo Miami. Bahatika, 12, arrived in 2006 from the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado.
- Baby giraffe makes debut at Milwaukee Zoo
- Three baby goats make their debut zoo
- Giraffe passes after accident at Zoo Atlanta
- Rare Leopard Cubs Make Public Debut At Illinois Zoo
- Harbor seal born at the Milwaukee County Zoo
- Zoo welcomes new baby sloth
- Giraffe Manor: Wonderful, weird or both
- Kraft is making its Super Bowl debut
- Teal Chair makes debut in Boise
- North West makes her runway debut