1. China tariffs: President Donald Trump is expected to announce tariffs on Chinese goods coming into the United States.
The new tariffs are expected to apply to about $60 billion worth of Chinese exports to the United States. That's a little more than 10% of all Chinese goods sent to the United States in 2017.
Beijing has renewed its warning that it could retaliate if Trump follows through with his plans.
"China will certainly take all necessary measures to resolutely defend its legitimate rights and interests," the Ministry of Commerce said Thursday.
2. Zuckerberg apology: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has broken his silence over Cambridge Analytica in an interview with CNN. He apologized, and pledged to fix what he called a "breach of trust" between the social network and its users.
Zuckerberg also told CNN that he was happy to testify before Congress.
Shares in Facebook were about 1% lower premarket.
3. AT&T trial in spotlight: The Department of Justice's lawsuit to block AT&T from buying Time Warner will begin in earnest on Thursday with opening statements.
It marks the first time in 40 years the Justice Department has sued to block a merger between companies in different lines of business. The case is expected to have a big sway over the future of the media landscape and implications for other large takeover deals.
The trial is expected to last between six to eight weeks. Time Warner is the parent company of CNN.
US stock futures were also lower.
5. Movers and shakers: Two of the biggest market movers are tech firms: Twitter and Tencent.
Shares in Twitter declined about 2% premarket after the company's chief information security officer, Michael Coates, announced he was leaving the company.
Shares in the Chinese social media giant Tencent dropped 5% in Hong Kong as investors reacted to its annual results.
6. Earnings and economics: Carnival, Accenture, ConAgra and Darden Restaurants are set to release earnings before the open. Nike will follow after the close.
The Bank of England will issue an interest rate decision and host a news conference.
7. Coming this week:
Thursday - Nike earnings
- China tariffs; Zuckerberg apology; Nike earnings
- CNN Exclusive: Zuckerberg apologizes
- China cuts car tariffs; Zuckerberg in Brussels; Italy's new candidate
- Facebook's stock drops after Zuckerberg apologizes
- China has some companies worried. Not Nike
- Tariff reaction; Brexit speech; Earnings pain
- Tariff delays; Apple earnings; Fed meeting
- Apple profit soars; Tariff threats; Tesla earnings
- Instagram founders out; Nike earnings; Versace on the block