A Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority building in Cleveland Heights has become a target for at least one scammer posing as a nurse and offering free cancer screenings. But instead of giving people help, she walks away with personal information.
One victim, Azzizat Crumble said she was flipping through the channels on Saturday when she heard a knock on the door.
"Opened the door and she said she was from Stephanie Tubbs' and they were going around doing cancer screenings," Crumble said.
The woman was dressed in scrubs and even offering an incentive.
"If we were to agree to it, we would get a $100 gift card to Walmart in the mail," Crumble said.
Crumble said it's not uncommon to see nurses in her assisted living building, so she agreed.
"She was like, 'Before we do it, I am going to need to see your ID and Medicaid card.' So I went and got it and she wrote the information down in a notebook," Crumble recalled.
The woman then proceeded to swab Crumble's cheeks and was on her way within 10 minutes.
"And then she was like, 'Okay, well you will receive your card within five to seven business days," said Crumble.
Crumble said she didn't think anything of it until she saw a sign on a bulletin board in the hallway of her complex.
"Scam alert: If anyone comes to your door asking for your personal information, call the police immediately," Crumble said the sign read.
Crumble said her social security number was on the Medicaid card she gave the woman, so she has since been monitoring her credit activity.
CMHA police say this is an on-going investigation. They believe at least four people were targeted, two of which handed over their personal information. Police say they do have a person of interest and potentially two others.
- Woman posing as nurse takes personal information
- Donald Trump takes it personally
- Hackers accessed personal information of 30 million Facebook users
- Inspiring photo of Afghan woman taking university exam while nursing child goes viral
- Girl buys gifts to take to Piedmont nursing home
- Nurse accused of taking narcotics from surgery center
- Twins pose as Olympians for Instagram
- Man arrested for posing as immigration offical
- O'Rourke, Cruz pose together for photo
- BBB: New Scam Targets Cell Phone Users For Money, Personal Information