A coyote attacked a 9-year-old child in Davie County Thursday night, according to Davie County Animal Control.
Animal Control received a report of an animal attack at 6:35 p.m.
The attack happened at 942 Markland Road in Advance.
A coyote followed Madilyn Fowler to the door of her home and attacked her as she was trying to get inside.
The coyote had been trying to attack the family dog before attacking the child.
The victim's mother was able to fend off the coyote.
Fowler suffered minor injuries and is being checked for rabies exposure.
The coyote has not been located.
State Wildlife Officials have been made aware of the attack, Animal Control officials said.
"We recommend that residents in the area be cautious with their pets and when outdoors for the next two weeks. An animal infected with rabies normally expires within two weeks, but can spread the disease to other animals and humans that it comes into contact with. Should you see an animal that you believe to be affected please report it to NC Wildlife or Davie Co. Animal Control."
- 9-year-old injured in coyote attack
- North Carolina Man, Seven-Year-Old Daughter Attacked by Coyote
- Coyote, not cougar, now suspected of attacking dog in Portland
- 9-year-old killed while sledding down driveway
- A bison charged a 9-year-old girl in Yellowstone National Park and injured her, video shows
- Coyote sights prompt warning to owners of small dogs
- "Coyote Challenge" kicks off but not everyone in favor
- Ted Nugent likens Democrats, media, academics to 'rabid coyotes'
- Community on alert after 4 dogs killed by coyotes
- Ben Bernanke warns this is the Wile E. Coyote economy