FORT WAYNE, Ind (FOX 55) - Students file into Senora Lankenau’s Spanish 3 class at Carroll High School. They meet up with their groups to prepare for a special project for the class.
That project is all about engaging the students saying Darlene Lankenau, the teacher of the class. She explained “they’re doing a novel. So we broke the novel up a bit to try and reinforce their comprehension, but to do it in a way that’s a little bit more exciting and engaging that just filling out a worksheet.”
The entire class is special, because they’re also joined by Dr. Ana Benito, a Spanish Professor from IPFW. She was paired Lankenau through a program called Professors in Partnership. The program pairs 15 IPFW professors with 15 teachers at Homestead and Carroll High Schools to help prepare the students for college while being interactive in class.
Dr. Bentio, who was a high school Spanish teacher in her native country of Spain said of the class "it’s been quite entertaining for me to have the challenge of teaching again to high school students and make the class possibly, and hopefully, more entertaining and informative and good for students of high school.”
Most of the students enjoy the entertainment part. Anna "Betania" Klepper says her favorite part was “doing the interactive part and also learning more about Spanish culture and Mexico and earning about Costa Rica.”
But also many of the students are getting an idea for what college is like thanks to the partnership.
“I can see how if I am in a big lecture hall how it’s going to be. It’s going to be not talking at me but talking to a bunch of people,” said Emily "Emilia" Ritzert, one of the studnets in the class.
The program began this year and is looking to continue into next year and at more schools as well, and Dr. Benito is looking forward to it, syaing “It’s been a great experience. I hope we can repeat it again.”
- Students learning what college is like in high school thanks to IPFW
- IPFW drill teaches students about emergency response
- New IPFW chancellor on campus
- IPFW Women Fall to UIC
- High School Students Learn To Operate Solar Panels
- A college student's take on the high school protesters
- IPFW officials discuss preparedness for mass shootings
- Pedestrian bridges at IPFW -safer design
- Student saves life just days after learning CPR at high school
- IPFW Men's and Women's Basketball Open Home Slate with Wins