Update 6:20 pm 11/5/2017:
Severe storms have cleared the area. Blackford and Jay County both are reporting damage to houses and businesses. Power lines are down and power is out in most of Portland, Indiana. Most areas saw upwards of an inch of rainfall this afternoon. The WFFT Weather Team is tracking weather throughout the evening and will have an update tonight at 10. Due to the wide spread storm damage Jay Schools will be closed tomorrow.
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - A series of severe storms pounded Northeast Indiana Sunday afternoon, causing widespread damage across the area. Hardest hit was Jay County, where residents say a tornado touched down and damaged several homes.
Significant damage was reported to the National Weather Service, including trees and power lines down, as well as damage to homes and outbuildings.
Some trees have been found sheared off several feet above ground level. At this time, no injuries have been reported. WFFT has a crew headed to the scene and will update this story as more information becomes available.
- Severe storms pound Northeast Indiana
- Thousands still without power after Sunday storms pound Northeast Indiana
- Unemployment falls across northeast Indiana
- Northeast Indiana gears up for Valentine's Day
- Fort Wayne-built Silverado making mark in northeast Indiana
- Northeast Indiana regional partners sign code of ethics
- Northeast Indiana feels the pain at the pump
- Development group wants Northeast Indiana to create marketing brand
- Indiana BMV branches to be closed several days for holidays
- Parents in northeast Indiana get tattoos for children with Down Syndrome