ANGOLA, Ind. (WFFT)- A mobile home was destroyed after an electrical fire around 6:45 p.m. Saturday.
Bruce Springer lives next door to 875 E. 200 N. and saw the fire from his back window.
"In a matter of minutes it was gone. It was in flames and gone. When I got out there flames was shooting out of the windows and glass was breaking," Springer said.
Two people inside the home escaped and called 911. Springer said he let a woman come inside to get warm. She didn't have time to grab her coat or shoes.
"I had her come in and she used the bathroom, and I gave her clean socks and a coat and shoes, then she went back out because her husband was out there, and they said they lost everything," he said.
Firefighters said the blaze started with an electrical outlet behind the couch, and strong winds fed the blaze.
"We had pretty heavy winds last night, and that pushed the fire through the mobile home, so when the first units arrived on scene we went to a defensive attack, so we did everything from the outside," said T.R. Hagerty, the public information officer for the Angola Fire Department.
Hagerty said the residents were lucky to get out without injuries, but rapidly spreading fires like this one are a reminder of how important smoke detectors are.
"Just make sure that you check your smoke detectors. Check those regularly and make sure you have a working smoke detector in your residence," he said.
A resident of the home spoke to FOX 55 off camera when we arrived on scene. She said it was an old house. She declined interview because she had found her son's cat and was taking him home.
- Neighbor, fire department speaks out about mobile home fire
- Fire destroys mobile home
- Fire destroys mobile home in Angola
- Electrical fire destroys Angola mobile home
- Firefighters work to put out mobile home fire
- Neighbors speak out about baby's death
- Home damaged after fire
- Fire destroys vacant home
- Fire department investigates car in pond
- Fort Wayne Fire Department battles fire on Third Street