FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WFFT) - The Fort Wayne Fire Department said 26 people were displaced by a fire Thursday afternoon.
The fire started around 4:30 p.m. at the Golfview Apartments in the 6500 block of St. Joe Road.
Firefighters called for additional crews once they arrived.
They said the fire started in a first floor apartment and spread to the second floor and the roof.
Several people were inside, firefighters rescued five people.
Before firefighters arrived, two children jumped from the second floor where police officers caught them.
Several pets were rescued in the fire.
Animal Care and Control assisted several pets rescued from the fire.
The fire remains under investigation.
- Firefighters battle large blaze at Golfview Apartments
- Firefighters battle blaze and heat
- Mustard Seed Furniture Bank assisting Golfview residents
- Multiple fire departments battle blaze in Huntington County
- Firefighters respond to Fort Wayne apartment complex
- Abandoned Kendallville factory fire prompts large firefighter response
- Firefighters respond to fire at south side apartment complex
- Three homes damaged in overnight blaze
- Firefighters battle cold and fire on Decatur Road
- Five escape apartment fire