FORT WAYNE, Ind. and MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (WFFT) - A dog was euthanized while the Allen County SPCA was trying to bring it back to Fort Wayne.
Jax was surrendered to the Rutherford County PAWS, the county run animal shelter in Murfreesoro, Tenn. on June 27.
Rutherford County PAWS called the Allen County SPCA because that's where Jax was last adopted.
"Jax was microchipped originally to this shelter, and is common practice among shelters, Rutherford County did contact us to let us know they had one of their original dogs," said Allen County SPCA director Jessica Henry.
Henry said they started working to bring Jax back to Fort Wayne once they got that call.
"Murfreesboro is a distance from here so we were arranging for transport," she said.
The problem is last week communication between the shelters broke down.
Henry said she left several voice mails letting them know they had a way to bring Jax home.
But, Rutherford County PAWS said it's the Allen County SPCA who couldn't be reached.
"We never heard back from them so he was humanly euthanized on July 6, 2018," said Sarah Moore with the Rutherford County PAWS.
Moore told FOX 55 Jax became their property on July 2nd and he was put down because of his behavior.
"He came in as an owner surrender do to being aggressive in the home with the children," she said.
Henry said that's not the Jax she knows.
He was in the Allen County SPCA's foster program before being adopted.
"We had a great relationship with Jax. He was a good boy, so we are devastated," Henry said.
Henry added Rutherford County PAWS never gave them a timeline they had to pick up Jax.
- Allen County SPCA, shelter argue over euthanized dog
- SPCA waiving adoption fee for Black Friday
- DNR proposes new animal euthanizing rule
- East Allen County Schools hiring
- Allen County sees big STI increase
- Fire damages house in northwest Allen County
- Car pulled from pond in Allen County
- Allen County monitoring water levels for residents
- East Allen County Schools focus on safety
- New Allen County judge sworn in Tuesday